Thursday, March 01, 2007

Dr. Seuss's Birthday

Tomorrow is Dr. Seuss's birthday. It's one of my favorite days to celebrate in my classroom and we have big plans with several guest readers and other special treats. Our first reader is a chef who will read Green Eggs and Ham. After she reads, we will eat my Green Eggs and Ham Turnovers. They are so much fun! I scramble the eggs and shredded ham together with blue food coloring to achieve just right hue of green and then stir in a handful of shredded cheddar at the end to help it all stick together. I use my fingers to flatten out Grands biscuits into big circles, put a spoonful of eggs and ham inside, fold it over and press the edges shut. Then I bake them in the oven for 20 minutes. The kids can't see what's inside until they take the first bite! I love it!

We are lucky to have several readers: a uniformed soldier, a stay-at-home mom, a meteorologist, a sheriff's deputy, a local store owner, a pastor, and our mayor. Each will wear the big red and white striped stovepipe hat associated with Dr. Seuss - that's the kids' favorite part!! For each reader, two children will ask prepared questions and then I have a quiz for later based on their answers. In the afternoon, we'll enjoy Cat in the Hat Sundaes - vanilla ice cream, strawberry syrup, whipped cream.

I hope to post some pictures tomorrow of our fun day!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home